Scraping, wrangling & viz, oh my! Fun with Columbia Basin DART (fish passage data)
As a little side project, I decided to scrape data from the Columbia Basic Research DART (Data Access in Real Time) to explore fish passage and seasonal trends over time.
- Check out the exploratory document: https://horst.shinyapps.io/dart_fish/
- Visit the project repo: https://github.com/allisonhorst/dart_salmon_passage
This project involved:
- A little crawl over web pages with
purrr(and loving the side effects, like
- Web scraping with
rvestto access fish count tables from > 1500 unique URLs
- Creating a function to access an html table, read it in, and combine with other scraped tables
- Data wrangling (
- Data visualization (
- Interactive visualizations (
shinywidgets + reactive outputs)
- Next steps: time series analysis & forecasting!